Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Ballroom/Latin Dancing Styles

So, I think there are a lot of people who don't know the differences between the different styles of dancing in the Latin/Ballroom world.


My husband is a professional dance instructor so he knows/teaches all the styles. However, he competes professionally in American Smooth. I began studying the American styles, but now I study, compete Pro/Am in (and obsess in!!) International Latin!

Below is a listing of all the dances in each style along with a video example(s):

American Smooth (J, my husband's style):
  • Waltz
  • Tango
  • Foxtrot
  • Viennese Waltz

American Rhythm:
  • Cha Cha
  • Rumba
  • Mambo
  • Bolero
  • Swing

International Standard:
  • International Waltz
  • International Quickstep
  • International Tango
  • International Foxtrot
  • International Viennese Waltz

International Latin: (My LOVE!)
  • International Cha Cha
  • International Rumba
  • Samba
  • Paso Doble
  • Jive

0 comments: